Black Lives Matter Co-founder’s Cousin Keenan Anderson Dies After Police Arrest

Black Lives Matter co-founder cousin died

After a car accident, a Los Angeles police officer shocked Patrisse Cullors’s cousin several times with a Taser. This caused him to die.

Keenan Darnell Anderson, who lives in Los Angeles, was involved in the incident on January 3. On Wednesday, the police department released video from Anderson’s arrest that was taken by a body camera.

The police said that Anderson was in an accident and then tried to run away. Cullors said that her cousin had gone to the police and asked for help.

She said in a phone call, “And not once did any of the responding officers listen to him.”

Anderson, a 31-year-old black man, died at a hospital about 4.5 hours after he was arrested. He had a medical emergency. In a video statement, a police officer named Kelly Muiz said

Around 3:35 p.m., the problem started. Muiz said that when a Los Angeles police officer was called about a traffic accident, She said that witnesses told the officer to talk to Anderson, who “they said had caused the car accident.”

The video from Anderson’s body camera shows him in the middle of the street. Before he runs away, he tells the officer, “Please help me.”

The video shows that the officer tells Anderson to “get to the side.” Anderson says that someone is trying to kill him in response. Anderson gets on the sidewalk and puts his hands in the air at the end. He tells the officer, “I didn’t mean to.”

The video shows that the officer tells Anderson to stand up against the wall. Anderson, on the other hand, kneels down and puts his hands behind his head.

“Please. Kindly, Mr. Sir, I didn’t mean to. Please, kindly. I apologise, ” The video shows what Anderson says.

Anderson tells the police officer that he lost his key and had his car fixed by someone else. The officer asks Anderson who he is talking about after he says again that someone is trying to kill him.

“I did a trick today,” says Anderson. “I did something funny today, sir.” I have to. “Like, no, no, no.”

Muiz said that Anderson stood still for a few minutes.

“However, as soon as the extra officers arrived, Anderson ran into the middle of the street to try to get away,” she said in the video statement.

“The police chased Anderson and told him to stop. Anderson was finally told to stop and get on the ground. As the officers tried to take Anderson into custody, he got more and more angry, refused to cooperate, and fought against them.

The video from Anderson’s body camera shows him lying face down in the middle of the street in front of a car. The video shows that several officers tell him to turn over onto his stomach. When he doesn’t, they grab him.

In the video, Anderson says, “Please, Sir, don’t do this.” “Please, Please Help Me…. They are out to get me. Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please.”

The police tell Anderson that they will Taser him if he doesn’t stop fighting back. On the video, an officer who looks like he is black puts his elbow on Anderson’s neck to hold him down.

At one point, Anderson yells, “They’re trying to George Floyd me!” This is a reference to the black man who died at the hands of Minneapolis police in May 2020. 

As Anderson and the police fight, the video shows an officer using his Taser several times. Muiz and the video say that he is later handcuffed and put in an ambulance to be checked out before the Taser is used. He died around 8:15 p.m. on January 3 at the hospital.

Cullors said that the video from the body camera was “shocking” and “unsettling to watch.” She asked why the police used force. She also said that she didn’t think the police should be the first ones to help with small traffic problems.

“If there’s an accident, the ambulance and fire department should come.” There should be trained professionals who know how to handle a crisis. “He would be alive if my cousin didn’t have to talk to Lapd that day.”

At a news conference on Wednesday, Police Chief Michel Moore said that Anderson had hit and run and tried to “get into another person’s car without their permission.”

Muiz said that a report from the Police Department’s Toxicology Unit found that Anderson had both a metabolite of cocaine and cannabinoids in his system. The Coroner’s Office for Los Angeles County will do a separate toxicology test. There hasn’t been any news about what happened.

When asked about the toxicology report, Cullors said that the family was more interested in why Anderson had to die.

“We were not there, so our family will never know what really happened that day. We do know that Keenan was supposedly in an accident and asked for help, which is how he died “She Spoke. “How did this cause him to die?”

Read More