A Florida jury has decided to award $800,000 in damages to the family of a girl who claimed hot chicken nuggets from a local McDonald’s branch seriously burnt her.
The case, which was originally filed in 2019, claims that “unreasonably and dangerously” hot chicken nuggets were supplied in the Happy Meal and burned the skin and flesh around Olivia Caraballo’s thighs.
— CBSColorado (@CBSNewsColorado) July 20, 2023
Olivia sustained second-degree burns when a hot McNugget dropped on her leg while sitting in the backseat of her mother’s car at a McDonald’s drive-thru, according to the lawsuit filed by Olivia’s parents, Philana Holmes and Humberto Caraballo Estevez.
According to The Associated Press, Holmes testified that when the nugget fell on Olivia’s calf, she yelled in pain, and when Holmes pulled over in a parking lot, she found the nugget was wedged between the girl’s thigh and the seat belt.
She further claimed that McDonald’s failed to warn her that the food could be especially hot.
McDonald’s testified that it adheres to food safety regulations, which require nuggets to be sufficiently heated to avoid salmonella illness. It stated that the corporation has no control over what happens to the food after it exits the drive-thru.
In May, a different jury returned a split judgment in the complaint, blaming McDonald’s and the franchise owner for the burns.
You can read the other news, check it below:
- Elon Musk Has Announced That Twitter Logo Will Be Changed From A Bird To A ‘X’ On Sunday
- 11 Year Old Girl Was Mu*ered In A Boating Accident In North Carolina
According to the South Florida SunSentinel, the jury deliberated for less than two hours before making its decision on Wednesday. According to The Associated Press, the family wanted $15 million.
According to the Associated Press, the jury awarded $400,000 in damages for the previous four years and another $400,000 for the future. McDonald’s did not reply quickly to a request for comment.
Join us at The Current Online to read such types of news.