Top Gun 2, also known as Top Gun: Maverick, is almost here after what seemed like an eternity of delays for even the most patient fans.
The sequel was originally scheduled to arrive in theatres in July 2019, but it now appears to be arriving in May 2022. Don’t worry, when we typed that, we crossed every digit and touched every piece of wood around us.
On March 29, 2022, Paramount released a new trailer for the film to promote its release, so we’d like to believe that another delay isn’t in the works.
Top Gun 2 release date: When will Top Gun Maverick be out in cinemas?
Before we get into all of the delays, let’s get to the point. Top Gun: Maverick is set to be released in the United Kingdom on May 25, 2022, and in the United States on May 27, 2022.
According to The Wall Street Journal, Netflix and Apple both asked Paramount if they could buy the film for a streaming debut. However, Paramount has stuck with a theatrical release, which is fantastic.
Top Gun 2: Maverick cast
- Tom Cruise as Captain Pete “Maverick” Mitchell
- Miles Teller as Lt. Bradley “Rooster” Bradshaw
- Jennifer Connelly as Penny Benjamin
- Jon Hamm as Vice Admiral Cyclone
- Glen Powell as “Hangman”
- Lewis Pullman as Bob “Bob” Floyd
- Ed Harris as a Rear Admiral
- Val Kilmer as Admiral Tom “Iceman” Kazansky
- Monica Barbaro as Natasha “Phoenix” Trace
- Charles Parnell as Rear Admiral Warlock
- Danny Ramirez as “Fanboy”
- Manny Jacinto as Fritz
- Bashir Salahuddin as Coleman
- Jay Ellis as Lieutenant Reuben “Payback” Fitch
- Lyliana Wray as Amelia Benjamin
- Jean Louisa Kelly as Sarah Kazansky
- Greg Tarzan Davis as Coyote
- Bob Stephenson as the United States Air Force General Edward Clayton
- Chelsea Harris as Flag Aide Angela Burke
Tom Cruise will return to his iconic ’80s role as Pete ‘Maverick’ Mitchell after 35 years of rumors and speculation.
“For years the studios and audiences wanted me to do it, and then Jerry Bruckheimer wanted to do it, so we talked and came up with some good ideas,” Tom Cruise said on The Graham Norton Show.
- Heartstopper: Netflix Confirmed Release Date And All That You Must Know!
- Snowfall Season 6 Renewed At Hulu & Fx – Cast, Plot & When Will It Release?
- Grace And Frankie Season 7 Part 2 Release Date Confirmed By Netflix: Trailer, Cast & Plot!
- The Northman Streaming Release Date; When And Where to Watch
Top Gun 2 plot: What’s Top Gun Maverick about?
“After more than 30 years as one of the Navy’s top aviators, Pete ‘Maverick’ Mitchell is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and avoiding the advancement in rank that would ground him,” it says.
“When Maverick finds himself training a detachment of Top Gun graduates for a specialized mission like no other living pilot has ever seen, he meets Lt Bradley Bradshaw, calls sign ‘Rooster,’ the son of Maverick’s late friend and Radar Intercept Officer Lt Nick Bradshaw, aka ‘Goose.’
Faced with an uncertain future and the ghosts of his past, Maverick is drawn into a confrontation with his own deepest fears, culminating in a mission that requires the ultimate sacrifice from those chosen to fly it.”
The world may have changed since Maverick’s first film, but expect him to continue taking daring flights, some so large that the crew had to seek permission from the Navy to film one of the most daring stunts.
Lady Gaga’s “Hold My Hand”
Lady Gaga has written a brand new song for Top Gun: Maverick, “Hold My Hand,” in addition to Loggins’ “Danger Zone.” This is most likely an update to Berlin’s “Take My Breath Away,” the love ballad from the original film.
Where to Watch
Top Gun is available to stream with a Netflix subscription or on Paramount Plus.
Top Gun 2 Trailer
You can watch Top Gun: Maverick Official Trailer here: