A successful defense of a master’s thesis is the first step before obtaining a doctoral degree.
A dissertation is no longer a diploma and one of the problems in choosing the topic of a master’s thesis and writing it is… determining the scientific novelty of the research. When you read articles, textbooks, other scientific works, it seems that all the problems have already been considered more than once. In fact, this is certainly not the case.
A cheat sheet on scientific novelty for the future master’s degree
The name of the study is – no novelty? And yet only the introduction … Well, that’s okay. Looking for:
- A subject not yet considered in scientific papers (well, almost not considered). Even if on a long-known topic.
- An off-the-wall definition of known problems or problems.
- A rare non-standard method of research that other authors have not wanted to use for their work.
- A well-known theory, but consider it in a new way, under different conditions.
- Not officially recorded (i.e., not recorded) the results of experiments, they are as if nobody’s, so they are new. They can be used for our own work.
Models that have not yet been applied.
Too abstract? But the search for scientific novelty depends very much on:
- the subject of the research;
- what field you are working in: technical, biological, humanities.
In principle, even one point is enough for novelty in research. But the real, really relevant, not yet considered by anyone in a good way.
The options suggested above are intended to push you, as an author, to the right idea.
The main thing is to understand the principle
The general principle of finding scientific novelty in a term paper, diploma, or master’s thesis is as follows: the author formulates it on the basis of known knowledge, but chooses something not yet considered, or looks for the layer where he can best demonstrate his own contribution to the research.
A tip from Essay Assistant: Don’t be shy and remember to ask your research advisor for help. He or she can not only suggest the novelty of the research, but also clarify many points in the work that you are not sure about.
When formulating scientific novelty is very important to demonstrate to opponents and the entire committee at the defense, that the aspects in question have not been fully explored before. Somewhere there are significant gaps and here you have a chance to close them.