Who Is Narayana Murthy’s Wife? Sudha Murty is an Indian educator, author, and philanthropist who serves as the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation. She is married to Infosys co-founder N. R. Narayana Murthy. We discuss her career, personal life, early life, and awards.
Who Is Narayana Murthy’s Wife?
Sudha Murty (née Kulkarni; born August 19, 1950) is the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation and an Indian educator, author, and philanthropist. She is married to N. R. Narayana Murthy, the co-founder of Infosys.
Murty was awarded the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award, in 2006 for his social work by the Government of India.
Sudha Murty’s professional career began in computer science and engineering. She is the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation and a member of the Gates Foundation’s public health initiatives.
She has established several orphanages, participated in rural development efforts, supported the movement to provide computer and library facilities in all Karnataka government schools, and established the Murty Classical Library of India at Harvard University.
Murty is best known for her philanthropy and contributions to Kannada and English literature. Dollar Bahu (lit. ‘Dollar Daughter-in-Law,’ a novel she wrote in Kannada and later translated into English as Dollar Bahu, was adapted into a Zee TV drama series in 2001.
Sudha Murthy’s story Runa (lit. “Debt”) was adapted into a Marathi film, Pitruroon, by director Nitish Bhardwaj. Sudha Murthy has also appeared in the film and the Kannada film Prarthana.
Sudha Murty Career
Sudha Murty was the first female engineer hired by TATA Engineering and Locomotive Company, India’s largest automaker (TELCO). [Citation required] She began her career with the company as a Development Engineer in Pune and has since worked in Mumbai and Jamshedpur.
She had sent a postcard to the company’s Chairman, complaining about TELCO’s “men only” gender bias. As a result, she was given a special interview and was hired right away. She later worked as a Senior Systems Analyst for the Walchand Group of Industries in Pune.
She founded the Infosys Foundation in 1996 and is currently a Trustee of the Infosys Foundation as well as a Visiting Professor at the PG Center of Bangalore University. She was also a professor at Christ University.
Sudha Murty is the author of numerous books, including novels, nonfiction, travelogues, technical books, and memoirs. Her works have been translated into all of India’s major languages. She also writes columns for Kannada and English newspapers.
Sudha Murty Early life and Education
Sudha Murty was born on August 19, 1950, in Shiggaon, Haveri, Karnataka, India, into a Kannada Deshastha Madhva Brahmin family, the daughter of R. H. Kulkarni, a surgeon, and his wife Vimala Kulkarni, a school teacher. Her parents and maternal grandparents raised her.
Her first notable work, How I Taught My Grandmother to Read, Wise and Otherwise and Other Stories, is based on her childhood experiences. Murty earned a B.Eng. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from the B.V.B. College of Engineering & Technology (now known as KLE Technological University) before going on to earn an M.Eng. in Computer Science from the Indian Institute of Science.
Sudha Murty Personal life
Sudha Murty married N. R. Narayana Murthy in Pune while working as an engineer for TELCO. The couple has two children, one of whom is fashion designer Akshata Murty, who is married to Rishi Sunak, the current British Prime Minister.
Shrinivas Kulkarni, a Caltech astrophysicist, and Jaishree Deshpande (wife of Gururaj Deshpande), who co-founded the Deshpande Center for Technological Innovation at MIT, are among her siblings.
Sudha Murty Awards
- 2004: Raja-Lakshmi Award by Sri Raja-Lakshmi Foundation in Chennai.
- 2006: India’s fourth highest civilian award Padma Shri.
- 2006: She also received the R.K. Narayana’s Award for Literature.
- 2010: Daana Chintamani Attimabbe Award by Karnataka Government.
- 2011: Murthy was conferred honorary LL.D (Doctor of Laws) degrees for contributions to promoting formal legal education and scholarship in India.
- 2013: Basava Shree-2013 Award was presented to Narayan Murthy & Sudha Murthy for their contributions to society.
- 2018: Murthy received the Crossword Book award in the popular (Non-Fiction) category.
- 2019: IIT Kanpur awarded her Honorary Degree (Honoris Causa) of Doctor of Science.
- National Award from the Public Relations Society of India for outstanding Social Service to Society
- Award for Excellent Social Service by Rotary South – Hubli
- “Millenium Mahila Shiromani” award
- Akshata Murthy Net Worth: How Rich Is This Person In 2022!
- Narayana Murthy Net Worth, Income, Age, Wife, Children And Revealed!(Updated 2022)