Left and Below:  University of Missouri at St. Louis Tritons taking the field against University of Indianapolis Greyhounds. (Courtesy Eric Wynen/The Current)

By David Tocco, Staff Writer

Coming off two home wins in a row, the University of Missouri–St. Louis men’s soccer team had momentum going into their match vs. the University of Indianapolis Greyhounds. They played hard, but the Sunday afternoon game ended in defeat for UMSL, dropping their record to 3-3 (2-2 GLVC) as nearly 300 spectators looked on.

The game got underway a half hour later than planned at about 3pm due to the women Tritons’ game running late, which ended in a 1-1 draw after 2 periods of overtime. The men’s team started out with a strong shot toward goal by sophomore midfielder Nick Werner. Greyhound goalkeeper Christopher Jones dove high in desperation as the shot went slightly wide to the right. Both teams accumulated several opportunities during the first 30 minutes of the opening half. Then the Greyhounds nearly scored as UINDY junior Evan Smith hit the goalpost and his teammate, senior forward Zak Mitiche failed on the rebound, shooting wide to the right side of the goal.

The UMSL faithful roared in the stands as Dom Barczewski, freshman, business, knocked in the first goal of the match (41:41), assisted by Clay Stocker, junior, accounting. When asked about the play, the midfielder humbly commented, “Honestly it was a pretty lucky goal. It just dropped down to me, and I swung my foot through and it went in.” Regarding his scoring capabilities, he said, “I’m not usually a big goal scorer, so I was pretty excited.”

The half ended with the Tritons owning a one goal lead and having escaped unscathed despite a few dangerous scoring chances from UINDY. The second half started out with neither team showing a clear advantage until the Greyhounds nearly scored when senior back Julian Shamsaie shot, hitting the post. The game continued on with UINDY showing a slight advantage with superior possession and passing control.

About 20 minutes into the second half, UINDY evened the score when sophomore midfielder Josh Ling chipped a shot over UMSL goalie Jake Filla’s reach and past the goal line. Shortly thereafter, things got tense as Greyhound unior forward Jacob Meyer instigated an UMSL player prior into an indirect kick. Meyer had intentionally aggravated the Triton by messing with the ball placement. This resulted in slight contact and heated words between the players. Both were handed yellow cards and the game continued on.

At the end of the half the Tritons had a good opportunity to finish the match in victory as Triton midfielder Connor Carnduff, senior, marketing, took a strong shot on goal but was denied by the Greyhound goalkeeper. Regulation ended and the game went into overtime.

It did not take long before UINDY’s sophomore midfielder David Kurz scored (91:25), his first goal of the season off a free kick from about 90 feet out to end the overtime period and the game. Triton midfielder Alex Rutledge, freshman, undeclared, said of the goal: “It was something that was definitely preventable, but it’s the game of soccer.” He also commented on his teammates’ efforts, saying, “I think our team stayed positive throughout the whole game and we didn’t give up.” UMSL certainly put up a strong fight against the Greyhounds, who beat them twice last year, shutting them out in both games.

The Tritons take to the road this weekend, playing the Rangers of Wisconsin–Parkside (3-3) on Friday afternoon and then taking on the Lewis University Flyers (0-5-1) near Chicago, Illinois on Sunday afternoon. The next UMSL Soccer home games will be on Friday, October 2 at 7:30 p.m. vs. Drury and then on Sunday, October 4 at 2:30 p.m. vs. Missouri S&T.

Notable Statistics:

-UINDY outshot UMSL 14-5

-UINDY took 5 corner shots, while UMSL did not take any.

-4 Yellow cards were given, 2 for each side.

IMG_3775 IMG_3777 IMG_3779