Tori Foster, Staff Writer

Kirksville, MO- The University of Missouri–St. Louis men’s basketball team’s hard work has been paying off. Once the fall semester ended the men Tritons began to go the extra mile to ensure they have a great standing for the season. The men’s record so far is 12-4 with 12 games left in the regular season before the men’s Great Lakes Valley Conference tournament start in March. Jan. 3 the Tritons played their first GLVC team, Principia, since the new year started and won 93 to 56.  Since then the Tritons have won and lost three GLVC games making them ranked 8th in the GLVC conference so far.

Thursday, Jan. 18 the men’s basketball team took on the Truman Bulldogs. The Tritons were off to a great start in the first half of the game. #1 Jason Towery, junior, communications, and #12 Anthony Hughes, sophomore, computer science, came out to storm on the court with back-to-back 3-pointers setting the momentum for the Tritons. The game became tied 12 to 12 after #35 Jose Grubbs’, sophomore, undecided, fast break in the paint. Without delay the Tritons trailed closely behind the Bulldogs until #42 Eric Dustin, senior, marketing, made a jumper that tied up the game for the second time. The scoreboard was now Tritons 18 to Bulldogs 18. The Tritons began to trail again by #3 Jaelin Wilkins-McCoy, junior, business management, shooting a 2-pointer and making two free throws. The Tritons hustled until the buzzer rang to notify the players the first half was over. By halftime the score was Tritons 22, Bulldogs 31.

#23 Steve Webb, freshman, software engineering, came out storming after the break with a jumper and a layup within the first two minutes of the second half. The Tritons started off the half behind by nine points. The men’s mind was set on taking and remaining in the lead to win the game once the clock hit the last 17 minutes on the time clock.  All of a sudden, the Tritons scored six points in less than minute due to #11 Ronnie Carson’s, junior, sports marketing and special education, 2-pointers and Wilkins-McCoy’s fast break drunk while in the paint. From there the Tritons were on fire with 3-pointers and eventually the game became tied for the third time in the game 50 to 50 with four minutes remaining in the half. The two teams were going shot for shot and tied up the game one last time 52 to 52 before the Tritons gained the lead and won the game. Carson made sure the Tritons stayed in the lead the last 30 seconds with his two free throws. The final score was Tritons 61 and Bulldogs 58.

The two leading players this game were Hughes with 12 points and  #10 Johnathan Matthews, senior, communications, with 11 points.

The men’s basketball team’s next home game will be on Saturday, Jan. 26 at 3 p.m. The Tritons will face the Maryville Saints.