Dustin Steinhoff, Staff Writer

Due to a water outage at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, the campus was partially closed on February 28 and completely closed on the morning of March 1.

The closing was due to a water outage that occurred on February 28. A water main break occurred under natural Bridge Road near UMSL’s Patient Care Center. The incident affected the water pressure of buildings on the North and South Campuses. This caused some restrooms, The Nosh, Triton Treats, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Subway, Science Learning Building’s Simply to Go, and Subway to close while the rest of the campus remained open as usual on the afternoon of February 28 while the campus was completely closed the morning of March 1. Crews from Missouri American Water Co. and campus facilities were dispatched and worked on repairing the problem, allowing most of the campus to reopen at noon on March 1.

UMSL students and faculty received an email early on March 1 from alert@umsl.edu notifying everyone that all morning classes and activities taking place on campus were cancelled through noon, effective immediately. Those concerned with afternoon and evening campus operations were advised to check www.umsl.edu after 11:30 a.m. on March 1 for information. Students and faculty were able to check the home pages of the Touhill Performing Arts Center and Department of Athletics to receive further information regarding activities and events.

In an email from Robert Samples, associate vice chancellor of marketing and communication, students and faculty were warned there could be isolated issues in certain buildings as service was being restored. If one did run into water-related problems, they were advised to contact Facility Services.

Students who are signed up to receive text messages about campus alerts received a text on the morning of March 1 stating that all activities and classes were cancelled because of a water outage. Another text was sent shortly after, clarifying that campus would be closed until at least noon with another text being sent confirming that the campus would reopen at noon.