Office of Student Involvement
This week the Student Government Association will conduct their 2019-2020 election. Students will be voting to elect the SGA Executive Officers—President, Vice President, and Comptroller. Students will also vote to select SGA Senators. In addition to those positions, students will also be asked to vote on three proposed amendments to the SGA constitution. We’ve provided a brief summary here, but you can learn more by visiting the Elections tab on SGA’s website, sga.umsl.edu.
There are two candidates for SGA President:
- Paymon Porshahidy is a junior, majoring in international business with minors in history and transportation studies. Currently, Paymon serves SGA as a Senator and the Sergeant-of-Arms for the Assembly. As a Senator, Paymon represents the student body as a member of the Physical Facilities and IT Infrastructure committees. Before coming to UMSL, Paymon completed his general education courses at STLCC while serving as a Student Representative, Student Ambassador, and President of the Chess Club.
- McKenzie Schuessler is a junior majoring in political science. McKenzie is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha Fraternity, where she holds an officer position as Historian. She is also the Opinions Editor for UMSL’s student led newspaper, The Current. She is also a general member of Order of Omega and a student in the Pierre Laclede Honors College. McKenzie is part of the Help Us Transform Lives slate.
There is one candidate for SGA Vice-President, Foram Patel. Foram is a junior majoring in Psychology. Currently, Foram serves SGA as a Senator. Additionally, Foram is the Treasurer of Delta Zeta Sorority, an Orientation Leader for New Student Programs, and a general member of both the Order of Omega and the National Society of Leadership & Success. Foram is part of the Help Us Transform Lives slate.
There is one candidate for SGA Comptroller, Nicole Caldwell. Nicole is a freshman majoring in political science with an emphasis in pre-law. Currently, Nicole is an SGA Senator. Additionally, Nicole works as a student employee in the Office of Student Involvement and is a student in the Pierre Laclede Honors College. Nicole is part of the Help Us Transform Lives slate.
For the position of SGA Senator, there are seven candidates:
- Lucy Grimshaw
- Crystal Lumpkins
- Cassidy McLaughlin
- Kenneth Miller
- Malik Taylor-Allen
- James Turner
- Philip Yusuf
Lastly, there are three amendments to the SGA constitution up for consideration:
- Amendment #1 would change every instance of the phrase “Executive Committee” to instead say “Senate.”
- Amendment #2 would move Article IV, the duties/responsibilities of SGA Executive Officers, to appear in the By-Laws rather than the Constitution.
- Amendment #3 would move Article I, Section 3, the formula used to determine the number of Senators, to appear in the By-Laws rather than the Constitution.
With multiple questions on different topics, it is important for students to research the candidates and constitutional amendments before voting. For additional information about the SGA candidates and constitutional amendments, please contact SGA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-516-5105. For general questions and concerns, contact the Office of Student Involvement at 314-516-5291 or email@example.com.